Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beige Feature: Kevin Monroe

The best poet to touch the mic in a very long time Kevin Monroe is definitely on my artist to watch list. Center of attention is the story of a rise and fall like no other, his lyrics hit the nail on the head, capturing emotions that many popular artist fail to. The way he receives abstract is amazing, but you have to hear it for yourself I guarantee you'll fall in love with it.


 
Center of Attention is my debut mixtape, but not only that, it's a story. Like another other story, there's a plot, or purpose behind it, guiding the listener along the way. This particular story is about wanting to and being in the lime light, the struggles involved and the eventual downfall of certain characters throughout.

I've been working on it all summer and didn't start recording til about the end of August once everything was written. I wrote EVERYTHING that can be heard on the mixtape (aside from "The Perfect Lie" which was composed by a friend of mine). My style as a lyricist (hate the term "rapper") is similar to that of a poet. I try to incorporate tons of concrete images to convey emotions to my audience. Something's cannot be explained in words, such as abstract feelings like love, heartbreak, depression, etc. My lyrics and imagery are the tools by which I trigger the mechanisms of human emotion.

I will be working on another project very soon but details about that will remain concealed until further notice. For now you can look me up on soundcloud.com/Kev_Monroe and you can download my mixtape at hotnewhiphop.com/Kev_Monroe.

1 comment:

  1. Hey love great post fill free to check out my blog
    http://selahroots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete